Distal Triceps Tendon Repair
PHASE I: (WEEK 0-3)
- Post-op splint at all times for 1 week
- Transition to hinged elbow brace locked at 90° after 1 week
- Brace is unlocked only for ROM exercise (settings 0°-90°)
- Passive extension to 0° as tolerated
- Active flexion to 90° as tolerated
- Achieve full forearm supination and pronation
- Shoulder, wrist, hand exercises encouraged
- Edema control/Scar management
- Apply ice after exercises
- NO ACTIVE ELBOW EXTENSION until 6 weeks post-op
PHASE II: (WEEK 3-6)
- Hinged elbow brace at all times except exercise or hygiene
- Unlock brace according to ROM progression
- Passive extension to 0° as tolerated.
- Active/Passive flexion may be increased by 10° per week as tolerated.
- Continue with shoulder, wrist, hand exercises.
- NO ACTIVE ELBOW EXTENSION until 6 weeks post-op.
PHASE III: (WEEK 6-6MONTHS)
- Gradually wean from brace at 8weeks from surgery
- Begin active elbow extension gradually and progress with strength program
- Continue ROM as necessary.